Saturday, September 22, 2012

A Conflict Of Interests!


     This could be a very tough day for those of you
who like to observe those strange "Holidays" I like
to call to you attention!
      There are two on today's calendar.
      But, as they say, "you can't have your cake and
eat it too!"
      It's the 4th Saturday in September.
      As such it is "National Hunting and Fishing Day!"
      But.....it is also "Fish Amnesty Day!"
      PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of
Animals) came up with the latter about 15 years ago
and uses the observance as a way to promote fish
free diets.
      Believe it or not Congress established National
Hunting and Fishing Day in 1971. And, ironically,
it was created to recognize hunters and anglers for
their leadership in fish and wildlife conservation!
       I find myself "on the fence" in this dilemma! Or
maybe I should say "on the dock!"
      We have "rescued" a number of fish at our house!
      We have saved them from Walmart and other Pet
Stores, and have fed and cared for them in a
comfortable and clean tank set up in our game room.
       A few have died during our watch. Most from
old age and a couple we believe were the victims of
the "Big fish eat little fish syndrome."
       But while caring for a small school at home I
admit to searching for others with worms and an
occasional piece of hot dog attached to a hook on the
end of my fishing line!
        Although I usually practice a "catch and release
policy" I have also enjoyed a fish fry from time to
time."
         Rather than allow my self to be torn in two by
these two observances I believe I'll allow my rod and
reel to sit, unused, throughout the day! That should
make the PETA folks happy!
         The Fishermen will have to be content knowing
I plan to celebrate the day with Tuna or Fish & Chips
for lunch!
         Hope your tackle box is ready, just in case, and
that all your NEWS is good!













     
      

No comments:

Post a Comment