Saturday, September 8, 2012

A "Holiday" You Probably Can't Obseve!

   Regular readers know how I love to mention some of
those bizare holidays, official or not, that I find on some
unusual web sites.
    Saturday is one of those days and I have no doubt
my oldest friend will be celebrating with a big smile on
his face.
    Most of us, however, will be left out of this one!
    September 8th is "International Drive Your
Studebaker Day!"
    Even if you did know about it I think it's a safe bet
there are not too many of you out there with a
Studebaker. There are probably a few of you who
never heard of the company!
    Of course it doesn't have to be a car!
    Studebaker dates back many years and the company
has manufactured cars, trucks, and horse drawn
vehicles! So if you have a Studebaker truck or a
wagon you can still join in the fun!
     What?! You don't! Oh well.
     There are 13,000 members in the International
 Studebaker Driver's Club. It's hard to believe,
however, there are that many Studebaker's left
around the world!
     The Studebaker was not my favorite car.
     I preferred Chevys and Fords generally, although
I did like the Studebaker Hawk and the Advanti
which was made by Studebaker.
     A lot of people must have agreed with me
because  by the mid 50's the company's cars weren't
selling very well!  The last Studebaker was actually
made in Canada and rolled off the assembly line
in 1966.
     Of course now that it's gone....it's in demand!
     It's one of those cars like you used to have and
wish you still had today. Most of us have owned
one or two of those!
     My friend was always a Studebaker fan..even
when it wasn't popular. So, earlier this year he
went out and bought himself a "new" Studebaker!
     Well, it was "new" to him!
     Actually, it's a 1924!
     He didn't know about the "holiday" but assured
me he'd try to take it for a spin in honor of the day!
     Of course you've got the whole day to search
for a Studebaker of your own....if you're so
inclined.
     Personally I'm hoping for just a bit of
sunshine so I can put the top down in my Miata!
     Hope you've got a good ride, whatever the
make, and that all your NEWS is good!











1 comment:

  1. I had a '36 Studebaker coupe that had the trunk removed and was fitted with a wooden truck body. It was road-legal when Dad bought it off a used car lot for $75 in 1957. However, we never renewed the registration and used it as an off-road truck for several years. It was a sad day when we towed it to the scrap yard somewhere around 1965.

    One of the first school buses that I rode was a Studebaker. The engineering was good and the main problem was that the company was ahead of the time with design concepts. The Avanti would look about right today. But consumers had preconceived ideas of what a car should look like and were sure that a car shouldn't look "like that."

    ReplyDelete