Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Hush Children...What's That Sound.....


  I decided to spend a portion of my Birthday at the movies!
  Going to the movies is like coming home to me. When I was
a kid and my Dad was a projectionist it was not uncommon
for me to see several movies in a single day.
   My show on ECTV ends at 12:30 and my wife was
doing some volunteer work with a local hospital.
    What a great chance to escape to a "guy's movie."
     And on a Monday no less!
     That's usually the "slow" day for the movie business so there's
a fair chance you'll have the theater all to yourself.
     Add to those ideal circumstances the fact that Cinemark sent
a coupon for a free popcorn and medium soda as a Birthday
present!
     I picked "Lawless", a feature that's already been out for
awhile, further guaranteeing sparse crowds.
     It was "based on a true story" so there's a good chance
there was something factual somewhere in its one hour and
fifty five minutes of shooting, car chases, and moonshine
making and distribution!
     I'm hoping none of the "true" parts were included in the
dialog as I missed a lot of that.
     The dialog I heard was coming from a man and a woman
sitting one row and four seats ahead of me.
     They were among the 7 people, including me, in the
audience!
     These were not "teen talkers!" The couple appeared to be
in their 60's or so and, for some reason, found it necessary to
comment on virtually everything in the movie!
     I coughed a little and eventually whispered "Please be
quiet." I guess my whisper was a bit too low because they
never stopped!
     I was really glad each time somebody on screen opened
fire or blew something up. It got your attention back to the
movie!
     I've complained, on several occasions, about people
who text or just check their cell phones during a feature.
     But I honestly think that would have been better! At least
those interruptions are usually brief and then end.
     I'm hoping this couple discovers one of the Drive In
Theaters still operating in our area. I wouldn't mind if they're
in a car while they talk to each other. As long as it's not mine!
     Hope you can "enjoy the show" and that all your NEWS
is good!
























No comments:

Post a Comment