Thursday, September 20, 2012

At The Car Wash!

    Trees are nice. But.........
    The Pine tree that grows both near and above
my wife's car likes to share its needles!
    They fall, ever so quietly, a few at a time day
and night and are attracted to the car like a magnet!
     They have the uncanny ability to land in places
that are irretrievable by human hands. They land
behind windshield wipers, in air vents, and between
door and window crevices.
      The heavy wind that blew through the area this
week expedited their fall so, before the vehicle was
completely camouflaged, I decided to take it to the
car wash.
       I pulled up to the vacuum cleaner first to clean
out the needles that had found their way onto the
floor mats.
       I was prepared this time. The vacuum takes 4
quarters, the car wash takes a minimum of 8.
       Usually my pockets would be filled with dimes,
nickles, and probably a few pennies. This time I
made sure I had enough quarters along!
        The hose on the vacuum is roughly the size of
the one that feeds air to the astronauts when they re
on a space walk. I guess they're not heavy when
you're in a weightless environment. But here on earth
they're heavy!
        They do have a powerful suction. But the nozzle
is just big enough so you can't fit it into half of the tiny
places where dust,dirt,tiny scraps of refuse and....yes...
pine needles..like to settle.
         With a bit of manipulation I managed to get
most of the interior cleaned up.
          Next on my target list were those needle filled
air vents right behind the wipers.
           I figured the high pressure water jet would
wash them away in no time. I did shoot some of them
right out of their resting places........about 20% of them!
           The rest just seemed to sit their as though they
were enjoying the shower! I retrieved most of the others
with a sweep of my "pointer" finger against my thumb.
            A few others will likely remain there till the car
either dies, is traded in, or begins to grow it's own tree!
            A prolonged spray might have eventually cleared
them out. But whoever designed those car washes seems
to have calculated the exact time it takes to wash a car
and cuts the water flow 3 minutes before that job can be
completed!
            Of course you can "buy" more water and time.
            But you'd better bring a lot of quarters if you
expect to get everything spic and span!
             It might be cheaper to chop down a tree!
             Hope you've got the correct change and that all
your NEWS is good!





































1 comment:

  1. David I chuckled when I read this post this morning. This past week I cut down and hauled away 4 40 ft. tall pine trees for the same reason you speak of. They have to be the dirtiest trees out there from the sap falling and the needles falling. Keep up the posting. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete