Saturday, September 29, 2012

At World's End!


  Any of you remember 1968?
  It was 44 years ago and things were a bit different
then! For instance, the  Yearly Inflation Rate in the
United States was   4.27%     
The average cost of a new house was $14,950.00.
The average annual income was  $7,850.00.
The average monthly rent was  $130.00. 
Gas cost 34 cents a gallon!
The average price for a new car was  $2,822.00.
 A movie ticket was $1.50 and the Federal Minimum
wage was $1.60 per hour!
  Any of you remember what you were doing on this
very date in 1968.....44 years ago?
    I do!
    I was getting engaged!
    I took my girl for a ride to see the changing leaves
and stopped at a romantic overlook in World's End
State Park!
     My cassette tape of our special music was hidden
just behind my seat and, as I slipped the diamond on
her finger with one hand I started the tape with my
other! (Older readers will probably have to explain
"cassette tapes" to any young folks who may be
reading this.)
     I don't want to say I was nervous. But I will admit
taking a wrong turn when leaving the place and
ended up in Towanda instead of heading home via
Tunkhannock.
    Well.....both towns start with a "T" don't they!
    Some people are impressed when I remember
dates like our first date, the day I gave my future
wife my High School ring, our engagement, and.,
of course, our wedding anniversary.
    It's really a lot easier than you might imagine!
    You see all of those dates fall on the 29th!
    They're not all in the same month or in the
same year. But they've all on the 29th.
    Not only does that make them easy to
remember. I also get February "off."  Except,
of course in a Leap Year!
    I think I remember September 29th., 1968
best of all because that's the date she said "Yes!"
    Hope you have a great love like mine.....that
way all your NEWS is sure to be good!
   
                            1968


   

No comments:

Post a Comment