Wednesday, August 7, 2013

I Saw The Light!


  I hope you're all ready for the big celebration!
  As I'm sure you are aware.....well maybe not,
August 7th is National Lighthouse Day!
  Hey! You've got to keep up with these big events!
  Back in 1789, the United States Congress approved
an act for the “establishment and support of Lighthouse,
Beacons, Buoys, and Public Piers.”
  200 years later, Congress designated August 7 as
National Lighthouse Day.
  Most of us associate lighthouses with places like
Maine, North Carolina, or even New Jersey.
   But we've got a few right here in Pennsylvania.
   There are three in Erie and one, a lot closer, along
Boat House Row on the Schuylkill River in Philly!
   I paid a visit to one in North Carolina earlier this
year. I didn't know about the holiday back then
and even if I did I was far too tired to celebrate
by the time I climbed to the top!
   I don't think I ever would have made it as a
Lighthouse keeper back in the days where there
was some kind of lamp you had to keep burning
manually.
   There are only about 600 lighthouse left in the
United States today. A lot of them will be hosting
special events to celebrate.
   If you're not close to one, and you're probably
not, maybe you can just go to your attic tonight
and shine a flashlight out the window.
   I'm not sure what I'll do. I don't have an attic
or even an upstairs for that matter!
   Guess I'll just check my photo album and
remember all those steps!
   Hope your path is well lit and that all your
NEWS is good.
                                                       
  (Turtle Rock Lighthouse, Philadelphia)
                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment