Thursday, August 8, 2013

Oh Canada!


        I just about a week's time my wife and I
will be hosting a great group of people on a
Rail tour into Canada. We'll be representing
Thompson Tours in Scranton. And I plan to
be shooting some video that may make it into
my "Travel Time" TV program on Electric
City Television.
       I will, of course, want to keep in contact
with our Tour company and, very likely, with
the TV studios as well.
       Since cell phones are everywhere these
days that should be easy. Right?
       Au contraire!
       Seems most of our cell phones, high tech
or low like mine, don't speak Canadian! That
is, they don't work north of the border!
       So let me make sure I've got this straight.
       We've got the longest shared border
between two countries in the world .....but a
cell phone signal can't get across?!
     There are companies that will rent a cell
phone for your Canadian visit. But by the
time you pay the rental rate for the phone,
delivery charges, and insurance against loss,
theft, or damage, you probably won't be able
to afford to make any calls.
        I wonder if they still have telephone
booths in Canada. Or if my contacts here
are familiar with the phrase "Collect Call?"
        I may just break down and search for
a Canadian Walmart to pick up one of their
pre-paid phones for the visit.
       At least, that way, if I don't use up all
the minutes on the card I buy I'll have a
good excuse to revisit the country if only to
make some phone calls!
       Here's hoping the Operator in Quebec
speaks English and that all your NEWS is
good!












No comments:

Post a Comment