Thursday, August 29, 2013

The 9th Inning!


   I came across a live broadcast of the Scranton/
Wilkes-Barre Rail Riders last night. Then I
realized tonight is the team's last home game of
the season!
   Wow! How time flies
   It seems like just a couple of weeks ago that
our new remodeled stadium opened to the
public and our Triple A New York Yankee
affiliate got its new name.
   I wasn't thrilled with that name. On the other
hand our old Red Barons team has become the
Iron Pigs.
    I still not overly enthusiastic about having a
Porcupine as the team mascot.
    That being said I did get back to the stadium
several times this season. And I must say I
enjoyed each visit.
    The first was to see the stadium itself. And
it is impressive! You can walk all around the
field and, like they say, there's not a bad seat
in the house! Of course my problem wasn't
sitting. It was standing in the very long lines
to get a hot dog! Then, of course, paying for
the hot dog!
    I also joined the crowds that turned out to
see Derek Jeter and, later, Alex Rodriguez
as they played here as part of their rehabilitation
assignments. Of course that's "injury" rehab in
the case of A-Rod!
    It was good to see the place with "sell out
crowds!" The "big name players" certainly
helped the local gate.
    And who knows how many of the current day
to day players may become the big name guys of
the future?
    There were too many empty seats last night.
    But, let's face it, the big names are gone, schools
are back in session, and the team isn't in
contention this year.
     Still I, for one, am glad our area can boast
minor league baseball and hockey teams! I think
they're good for the region. But I'd still loose the
porcupine!
     Hope you're all good sports and that all your
NEWS is good too!

                      
                                             Team Logo








Last night on TV














Jeter











A-Rod











    Porcupine

No comments:

Post a Comment