Sunday, August 25, 2013

My Cousin.....Vinny?


  Nearly 80 people were gathered at a Barn in
Schuylkill County yesterday.
  But this was no Grange meeting or Barn Dance!
  This was the 102nd annual reunion of the
Singley Family! No....I have not attended them
all!
   For those who don't already know, my middle
name is Singley. It was my mother's maiden
name and she was logically proud of a family
name that has been traced back to the American
Revolution. (I wasn't involved it that either!)
   My Mom and Dad used to bring me to the
reunion every year. It was held in a small church
in the community of Zion Grove. After a service/
meeting, we would all go outside to the church
pavilion where we could either buy food prepared
by church volunteers or dig into the covered
dishes many people would bring along.
   I fell away from the meetings during my teen
years. So did a lot of others. But a couple of
years ago a few of the cousins expanded the
gathering to a family farm not far from the
church. They still hold the meeting and family
"business' session at the pavilion. But, since
the church no longer has volunteers to prepare
food, we all go to the farm where there is what
can only be described as a feast and a whole
lot of fun for the kids!
    They don't play with IPods there! They
swing from a rope tied to the roof of the
barn and join in a number of other "outdoor"
activities that don't require electricity!
    Everybody knows we're all related in some
way even if there are faces we seldom see and
names we might not always remember.
    There's bound to be a "Cousin Vinny" in
there somewhere!
     There's corn. fresh from the field, broworst,
and what seems like a hundred deserts! You
don't start your diet here!
     What's really great is to see the kids enjoying
some "farm living!" They're the ones that will
have to take the Singley's towards the 200th
reunion! I think the family has a chance to get
there! I hope they do....and that all your NEWS
is good!







    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment