Monday, May 12, 2014

Campers & Critters!


   My wife and I decided on a top down
drive in the Miata to conclude our Mother's
Day celebration.
    Our back roads of choice eventually led
over the mountains and through the woods.
We did not, however, end up at Grandma's
house (at least not until later when we got
home.)
     After passing through suburbs such as
Mildred and Lopez we made a rest stop
at Lake Jean in Ricket's Glen State Park.
     Though Sunday evening was already
approaching we noticed several campers,
all staying in various varieties of tents,
enjoying the day and their camp fires.
      We also noticed some interesting
Informational signs posted around the
campground for the benefit of campers
and visitors alike.
       There were your typical admonitions
to refrain from feeding the wildlife and to
be aware of and strange behavior on their
part.
      I saw several postings warning people
of Bear activity in the area. Apparently
Pennsylvania's Wild Black Bears like to go
camping too!
      And they love other campers who
let food around their camp sites!
      I don't think warnings about Bears
are too surprising. It's kind of a matter of
common sense.
     It was the other poster that surprised
me a bit.
     The one warning about Chipmunks!!!!
     It read..."Beware, they're everywhere!"
     I envisioned the tiny critters attacking
without warning! I started listening for
any tell-tell signs of small feet charging
through the underbrush.
     The notice further asked if we were
"ready for the Chipmunk challenge?"
      Being unarmed and just a visitor I
had to assume I was ready for nothing!
      I might have rushed for the car, raised
the top, and sped off had I not seen the
remainder of the poster!
      As it turns out the poster was designed
to serve as a warning to motorists to watch
out for the Chipmunks as they don't look
both ways before crossing the road and are
all too easy prey for your tires!
      Wow! That's a relief. The Chipmunks
should be scared of us!
      I drove off feeling a lot better. But watching
for tiny Chipmunks and large Black Bears!
      Hope you're watching too and that all your
NEWS is good!





No comments:

Post a Comment