Thursday, May 15, 2014

Doggone!


     I'm impressed!
     I've heard about farmers and ranchers
who use dos to help them with their
livestock.
     I can recall at least one movie where
Lassie was put to work moving a herd
of sheep around. Technically I suppose
that made her a "Sheep Dog" even
though she was "legally" a Collie.
     There's always a Sheep Dog around
in any movie where there's  sheep.
     But yesterday we saw one at work in
a field in Lycoming County. It didn't
look like Lassie and, in fact, it was in
the wrong field!
     This canine was herding a bunch
of goats. Big and small!
      I took a couple of pictures...from a
distance. The owner reminded me the
small wire fence that enclosed the
animals is electrified!
     I touched one of those accidentally
one day. I seem to remember the hair
on my arms standing at attention for a
moment or two. And I've kept my
distance from wire fences, where ever
I find them, every since!
    But let's get back to this impressive
dog!
    He was forcing the goats towards
the barn, presumably for their
feeding. But no one was around to
tell him it was time to do so! How does
he know at what point he's suppose to
get them in from the field?
    And don't give be that bologna that
he's actually a "Watch Dog!"
    I suppose he'll get a treat for his
good work........unless it turns out
he is a Sheep Dog and brought in the
wrong herd!
    Hope he knows the difference and
that all your NEWS is good!    
     




























No comments:

Post a Comment