Saturday, May 3, 2014

Something For Nothing?


  They say there's no such thing as a
Free Lunch!
   Maybe not. But it you look hand
enough today you may find it is
possible to get something for nothing!
   Today is "Free Comic Book Day!"
Participating Comic Book stores offer
a free comic book to visitors on the
first Saturday in May!
    This may not seem like such a big
deal...unless you've checked the price
of comic books lately!
    I used to be a regular customer
back in my pre teen days. Of course,
whatever the subject, we used to call
them "Funny Books."
    The operator of my local ice cream
and candy store could count on me to
stop in every week to pick up the
latest, Superman and Batman Comic
books.
     My favorite, however, was Scrooge
McDuck, Donald's ultra rich uncle to
use to store his money in a swimming
pool and measured it in depth rather
than dollars.
     I had planned to do that too. But I
never had enough money to buy the
swimming pool in the first place!
     Back then you could buy all three
of my favorites by returning a empty
quart soda bottle and forking over a
nickel! You got a quarter for the bottle!
      There's a chance a few of those
"classics" I used to pick up for ten
cents apiece could be worth a small
fortune these days. Too bad I never
saved any of them!
     Maybe I'll stop by and pick up
a comic book today then save it till
I'm old. Oh, wait a minute, I can see
where that plan might not work!
      Hope you get something for
nothing today (maybe a comic book)
and that all your NEWS is good.












No comments:

Post a Comment