Monday, September 18, 2017

AHOY THERE!


TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 19TH., 2017
            AHOY THERE!

  Another one of those "Big Days" is here! It's one of
those "holidays" most people don't know about. And
they're missing all the fun!
   September 19th is "International Talk Like A Pirate
Day!" I kid you not!
   It's the brainchild of two guys,  John Baur and Mark Summers.
   Neither is a Pirate or, as far as I know, even a fan of
Pittsburgh's Baseball team.
   They were playing racquetball one day when they
suddenly had an inspiration to....well.....you know.....talk like
a pirate! It's probably happened to you at one time or another.
   Anyhow they had so much fun they decided the world
needed a new holiday and "Talk Like A Pirate Day" was
born.
    They picked September 19th because it was Summers'
ex-wife's birthday and because they couldn't think of any
other date that wasn't already being used for some other
observance!
     Through another friend the duo got an email address for
nationally syndicated columnist and Pulitzer Prize winning writer
Dave Barry who published a column about the day. And that's
all it took! Response began coming on from all over the
world (hence the idea that's it's an "International Day!)
      I've been a bit of a Pirate myself from time to time.
      I have my own vessel....although it is just an 8-foot-
rowboat.
      I even buried a "treasure" on a small island many years ago.  It was a small tin containing a few coins. I'm wondering if any of them were old enough to be valuable.
      I'd like to check. But I'm not exactly sure where I buried
them! Guess I should have made a neat map with a big X to mark the spot!
      Maybe I did.......but I can't remember. I should probably make myself walk the plank!
      I've provided all this background information so......
after you've walked around your place of business using terms
like...."Arr" or "me hearties" or "shiver me timbers"......they
won't try to take you away in a white jacket that ties in the back!
      Hope you're Jolly (Roger) and that all of your NEWS is
good!



No comments:

Post a Comment