Thursday, April 19, 2018

CHINESE LANGUAGE DAY!


    FRIDAY, APRIL 20TH., 2018
    CHINESE LANGUAGE DAY!

    April 20th is Chinese Language
Day!. I didn't know that until I happen
to see it on my list of unusual holidays.
     I've never really know much about
China either.
     I know there's a very big wall there.
I believe we're trying to build one now
too.
     My first exposure to Chinese
"culture" came when I was about 4
and our family made a trip to Chicago.
     Our tour of the Windy City included
a stop in Chinatown which I found a
little bit scary. There were a lot of
dragons with big teeth and they
scared me.
       Much later I saw the movie
"Flower Drum Song" which featured
a Chinese theme and Chinese actors.
I liked that but I'm not sure I ever
heard anybody speak Chinese!
        More recently my daughter took
in an exchange student from China.
We've asked to hear a Chinese word
or phrase from time to time but I've
never actually learned any Chinese
from him.
        His English is rough but at least
he knows enough to get by. If I were
ever in China I'd probably have to
search for a McDonalds to try to
survive!
        Actually Chinese Language
Day is an effort by the United
Nations to recognize each of the
six languages officially used by
that international organization.
         By the way April 23rd is
English Language Day.
         Hope most of us can speak
that one (correctly) and that all
your NEWS is good!


No comments:

Post a Comment