Friday, April 27, 2018

IT ALWAYS ENDS THE SAME!


  SATURDAY, APRIL 28TH., 2018
   IT ALWAYS ENDS THE SAME!

   I made my annual visit to the Bear
Creek Charter School Friday.
   Every April I get an invitation to
share my stories about the Titanic
to some of the students there. I've
got some interesting connections to
the Titanic story which I've shared
here a time or two.
    My stories, for the most part, deal
with a few people from this area who
found themselves on the infamous
ship.
     Of course the main story always
ends the same way. Titanic sinks!
But it's interesting to see how these
grade school students react to this
historic event. I get a good take
from their questions.
       For many, their exposure to
the disaster is, to some extent, based
on their seeing the 1997 movie
"Titanic."  Keep in mind these are
grade school students so they've
see the movie on television!
         After I explained that the
grave of a Titanic victim marked
"J. Dawson" was not the Jack
Dawson character in the movie
one student asked where Rose
was buried. Rose, of course, is
another character in the movie.
          Another then wondered if
the "Heart of the Ocean" (the
diamond featured in the movie
storyline) was real. It was not.
although I have purchased a copy
for my wife. I couldn't convince
her it was the real thing!
           It's amazing how the stories
of Titanic, real and fictional, hold
the attention of these kids 106 years
after the ship went down!
           If it takes movies to get
students more interested in history
I say "Make them" then take class
time to discuss the actual events!
            Hope they can separate
the fact from the fiction and that
all your NEWS is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment