Sunday, April 22, 2018

THE BIG SCREEN!


   MONDAY, APRIL 23RD., 2018
            THE BIG SCREEN!

      April 23rd is "Movie Theater
Day!"
        They probably should have
scheduled it a day later since
Tuesday is $5 day at several of
our local theaters.
         As many of you already
know I kind of grew up in movie
theaters. My Dad was a projectionist
which meant I had free admission
where he worked for many years.
         Theaters have changed a lot
since those days.
          We used to have a lot of
small neighborhood movie
theaters around. I had two within
5 blocks of my house when I was
a kid. I had to pay at both of those
but the admission was about 13cents
and that got you in to see a double
feature, a comedy short film like
the Three Stooges, a newsreel and at
least one cartoon.
          Television put an end to the
neighborhood theaters and the
theaters that survived became
Multiplex houses. You know, five
or more screens in one theater.
           The double features have
been replaced by first run movies.
Only one. The comedy shorts,
newsreel, and cartoon have been
replaced by a pre-feature
"infomercial"  about movie
productions and even TV shows,
and a series of coming attractions
that run long enough to allow you
to finish your extra large popcorn
before the feature ever starts!
            The latest change, of course,
is the inclusion of reclining lounge
chairs in the theaters. They are
comfortable and do allow for a
pleasant nap should the feature be
a bust.
              I miss the Three Stooges
and the cartoons! Most of all I miss
the 13 cent admission!
               But I still enjoy a day or
night out at the movies! Hope you
do too and that all your NEWS is
good.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment