Monday, May 28, 2018

AN IMPORTANT DATE!


    TUESDAY, MAY 29TH., 2018
         AN IMPORTANT DATE!

      Memorial Day is just past and
Father's Day is just ahead, But Make
no mistake about it, May 29th is an
important date. At least it is for me!
       Today marks 50 years since I
took a young lady on our first date!
Now she's my wife!
        That date took us to the Lakewood
Playhouse in Barnesville, near Tamaqua.
It was the first of several visits to the
popular theater. The Lakewood
Amusement Park was still in operation
there as well.
          Regrettably the theater's curtain
rang down for the final time in 1978
and the building fell into disrepair.
          Recently I heard about plans to
turn the old amusement park grounds
into a campground. Wouldn't it be
nice to see families enjoying the area
again?
          My friend Mark Marek from
WLSH Radio suggested the new
owners try to salvage the old theater
building and turn it into a museum
for both the park and the playhouse.
           I don't have the faintest idea
if that's possible or not. But if it
could be done I, for one, would love
to see it!
           Too many of our area "memory
places" have been allowed to disappear
over the years. It's time we think about
preserving more and restoring those
that can be restored.
            I'd love to have another date
at Lakewood if there's an inviting
attraction. I already know who I'd
invite along. That first date worked
out pretty well for me!
              Hope the Lakewood project
is successful and that all your NEWS
is good!



No comments:

Post a Comment