Thursday, May 17, 2018

PLAY 'EM IF YOU'VE GOT 'EM!


    FRIDAY, MAY 18TH., 2018
PLAY 'EM IF YOU'VE GOT 'EM!

    And if you haven't got them, go
get them!
     May 18th is "Buy a Musical
Instrument Day." It honors Meredith
Wilson, the man who wrote "The Music
Man."
      You may remember the main
character in that musical, Professor
Harold Hill, who made a living
selling musical instruments and
band uniforms to parents whose kids
never knew a thing about playing
them!
        I'm wondering in the character
might have been based on the guy
who sold me a guitar many years
ago. It must have been pretty clear
to him, certainly after the first lesson,
that my best chance of playing music
was to become a DJ.
         Any investigator looking at my
hands would legitimately suggest I've
never been much for manual labor.
Pressing down on those guitar strings
made more lines in my fingers that
recognizable notes!
         I learned about 3 cords but
that was about all I, or my instructor,
could take.
          But I appreciate all of you who
did learn to play! Whatever the
instrument!
           Music is wonderful. Well, most
of it anyway. So this is the perfect
day to go out any buy an instrument
and either learn to play or, like me,
learn  how to "fake it!"
           I eventually settled on a
harmonica and though I can't read
a word of music, I can play Stephen
Foster's "Oh Susanna" as well as most
of those guys in the old western movies!
            There's an instrument out there
for everybody! Hope you find yours
and that all your NEWS is good!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment