Sunday, May 20, 2018

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?


   MONDAY, MAY 21ST., 2018
   CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

    We cut our prime cable package a
couple months ago in an attempt to
save a few bucks. We've reverted to
the basic package which gives us all
the local channels and their secondary
stations. You know, like WNEP 2.
     I've come to appreciate some of
the programs offered on those
channels. There's old comedies, old
westerns, and some pretty good old
movies.
      But while I'm watching them I
have to wonder of anyone in their
studios or Engineering Departments
are?
      On Sunday afternoon the GRIT
channel offered "K-19 The Widowmaker."
It's based on the true story of a 60's era
Russian submarine that sustained
substantial damage from a nuclear
reactor malfunction.
       It's an exciting movie but I believe
I would have enjoyed it far more had
there been sound!
       The first 7 minutes was silent
and then, hopefully, the sound was
restored. But that hope was just as
quickly dashed when the picture
went quiet a minute later. I'm
14 minutes into the movie as I write
and I've yet to hear six full sentences!
        This isn't the first time I've
tuned into Silent movies on these
channels. The only blessing is not
having to hear the commercials!
         On ECTV, the channel on which
I volunteer, our sound is constantly
way lower that the other channels.
 In our case Comcast can't seem to
make the adjustments to balance our
audio with the rest of their channels.
          I suppose it's somewhat
academic in my case since I've got
some hearing loss anyway.
          Maybe I'll just have to go
with Closed captions and enjoy
the shows while reading the dialog!
          Hope someone hears my
plea and that all your NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment