Monday, September 9, 2019

FINDERS, KEEPERS!


   TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 10TH., 2019
              FINDERS, KEEPERS!

    So when I was growing up this is the way
it worked, If you found a quarter on the
pavement you were immediately 25 cents
richer!
    It worked a little differently with objects
other than coins. If you came across
something like a pair of binoculars in the
woods you usually made some effort to
find out who the owner was.
    Of course if a reasonable effort failed
to identify that person those binoculars
probably wound up in your closet.
     I remember reading of a couple cases
where large sums of cash were found. In
those instances when the owner could not
be located the police usually turned the
money over to the finder.
     Now you've got the case of some folks
who suddenly found thousands of dollars
in their checking account. Money they
didn't put there.So they started to spend it.
      Now I confess I have absolutely no
idea how much money is in my checking
account. My wife is our bookkeeper and
a good one at that.
      But were I sent out to make some
purchases by check it's totally conceivable
I'd spend more that she put in.
      If the bank made a mistake and deposited
money to our account I'd never know it until
after it was spent.
      Obliviously I'd never spend thousands
 without checking with my wife.
       The folks who spent the money they
didn't deposit will be facing consequences.
Possibly even jail time.
        Now I'm thinking the  "Finders, Keepers"
argument may not cut it in court.
        I wonder if I should put that quarter
back? Wait a minute...I already spent it
70 years ago on two comic books. I may
still have the nickle change!
        Hope my wife's checking our checking
and that all your NEWS is good.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment