Thursday, May 3, 2012

Fighting Temptation!

   A lot of people are still trying to rebuild their
lives and homes after the flooding that hit our
area last September.
   Walk through West Pittston and you'll find
Construction company vehicles parked along
most every street anywhere near the river.
     Work crews can been seen coming in and
out of the homes. At least I think they're
work crews. They don't seem to be walking
out with TV sets or computers  Most of the guys
I see are walking to and from pickup trucks
carrying  all kinds of tools....most of which I can't
identify. Neither the men or the tools!
     I've never had any inclination to help them
do the carpentry or install the rugs or paint the
ceilings.
    But, as I watched one crew at work, I actually
wished I could have pitched in........kind of.
    They had just finished setting up what looked
like a railroad track right outside one of the
flood damaged houses.
     Then a cement mixer truck pulled up and
they started to fill the space between the two
rails with wet concrete!
      Thoughts of the Hollywood "Walk Of Fame"
rushed through my mind. That's the place where
all the movie stars put their hand and foot prints
in the side walk.
      I don't think there's a kid around (or some
of us older kids) who hasn't wanted to put
his hand prints or draw his initials or name in
wet cement!
      I had to fight the temptation to come back
when the crew was gone and the concrete was
still drying to "make my mark" for future
generations to see.
      Then it occurred to me that a print, or name,
or even initials  might possibly give away the
identity of the person leaving the mark. And
what good would it do to leave somebody
else's name or initials? Do that and they'd
get the credit!
       So, in the end, I fought off the temptation
and let the concrete dry...untouched!
       Maybe I could bring some chalk along
next time I walk by!
       Hope you've left your mark and that all
your NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment