Saturday, May 12, 2012

Where The Wild Things Really Are!

   With apologies to the late Maurice Sendak
I believe I know where the "Wild Things" really
are!
   I know because I took one of them, my
grandson, to the place yesterday. He met another
of his kind there....a classmate.
   If Steven King is smart, he'll be crafting a
new horror novel about this place, or one like it
before they disappear from our landscape!
   The place is a Playground!
   Not one of those ultra modern politically
correct parks where youngsters slide on
plastic and fall upon some sort of crushed
mulch.
   I'm talking about an old fashion American
playground with "Monkey Bars", swings, and
the incredibly dangerous "Merry" aka
"Jenny or Jinny-Go-Round." When you fall
here it's usually on the hard ground....often
with a couple of rocks thrown in! (Not
literally "thrown.")
    That last device, basically a metal circle
that kids spin around while they jump on
and off, has been banned in most new
playgrounds and has been removed from
some old ones.
    I watched two "wild things", my grandson
and his buddy,push each other around as
fast as possible, jump on and off, and stand
up as it spun. Somehow they survived.
    I was still watching it and thinking about
how dangerous it was suppose to be when
I turned to tell the kids I didn't think it was
wise to slide down the large sliding board
while standing on their feet.
    As my eyes surveyed this site I
marveled at the fact that most of the kids
who played with me on nearly identical
playgrounds so many years ago had lived
into their 60's! Maybe we were just
tougher then?
    On the other hand I know of at least
two "wild things" that handled the
dangers very well and are doing just fine
thank you!
    Hope there's still a little "Wild Thing"
in you and that all your NEWS is good!






No comments:

Post a Comment