Friday, May 4, 2012

The Mine Field!

   OK. It's not really a "Mine" field. It's
really an "Our" field.
   And it had to happen sooner or later. I had
been hoping for later. The grass had to be
cut.
   This is the first time I've had my choice
of weapons. The gas mower or the electric.
   I pulled the gas mower out first and went
through the usual season starting ritual.
   It begins with a dozen pulls on the starter
cord. Up until 12 there is some sort of self
delusion, perhaps genetic, that somehow
convinces you the next pull will have
different results than the pull before.
    I finally stopped the insanity and pulled
then cleaned the spark plug. A few ounces
of fresh gasoline were added to the small
tank after which pull number 13 brought
the sleeping engine to life.
    Then came the hard part!
    We don't have a lot of lawn so one would
think cutting it would be a simple thing.
     I think that would be the case if my wife
didn't have so many plants.
     But here's the thing. I have a tough time
telling the difference between plants that
haven't yet bloomed and weeds. That puts
me in a very precarious position when I'm
trying to guide that spinning blade over
the grass without dealing a fatal blow to
those unknown green bushes that may
someday spout some sort of flower.
     It's like trying to negotiate a mine field!
     After running the gauntlet in our back
yard I moved to the front where my wife
suggested I try the electric mower.
     It worked just fine and, with my wife
standing close by, I was able to get
instructions as to just where to cut.
     There was a lot left standing. But she
tackled the rest with the weed whacker.
     I think I survived the day without
chopping up any azaleas or Chrysanthemums
     But aren't Dandelions flowers too?
     Hope your garden grows greener and
that all your NEWS is good!




















No comments:

Post a Comment