Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Taking The Pledge

  Today's the day I take the pledge!
  Before you jump to any conclusions I'm
not swearing off ice cream or my favorite
soda. The pledge I'm talking about is the
Pledge of Allegiance.
   The folks at WBRE/WYOU have
decided to begin each broadcast day with
a recitation of the pledge and I've been
invited to be one of the first individuals to
record it on camera.
    That could be because I was at a meeting
with the new general manager when he came
up with the idea.
     Or it could be because they figure I've
been around since the pledge was adopted!
And they're right! It was written back in
1892.  No, I wasn't there then. But it wasn't
formally adopted by Congress until 1942....
the year I was born.
     Of course just about the time it became
second nature to me....they changed it!
     That was in 1954 when the words
"Under God" were added to the pledge.
      You're suppose to face the flag when
you're reciting the pledge. But that's going
to be a little difficult for me in the studio.
      As far as I know they don't have a
flag there. They'll use the "Green screen."
It's a wall painted green on which the
technical folks can superimpose any
picture they want behind you. Hopefully
it will be video of  "Old Glory."
      Since the stations now have programming
24 hours a day I'm not sure what they
consider to be the "beginning of the
broadcast day" so I'll forgive you if you
don't stay up or set the alarm to try to
catch me in action.
      Besides, I expect the recitation to take
about 12 seconds so I'll be on and off
before you know it.
      If you do happen to see it I hope
you'll take a moment to join me as I
take the pledge. I also hope, as usual,
that all of your NEWS is good!
   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment