Saturday, May 19, 2012

"True Oldies!

  I showed up a little early yesterday as I drove
to the Wilkes-Barre Academy where my wife was
demonstrating the art of spinning wool to a class
of first graders.
   No problem.
   It was 72 degrees, low humidity, and the sun
was shining.
   I figured I just sit back and listen to some music
on the radio.
   Since my satellite receiver was still in its mount
in my other car I decided the next best option was
to tune in the area station that made its name
playing "oldies" when they were brand new!
    WARM! The "Mighty 590!"
    The "Sensational seven" are long gone and so,
apparently, is the signal and pride that once made
this company king of the hill.
     I can take the AM signal. In fact, sometimes,
when it comes to oldies a bit of static in the
background just makes it seem like old times.
    Then came the promotional announcement......
for "WARM's Operation Snowflake!"
     Yep. There I sat, on the most pleasant day
of the week, listening to a reminder that I'd
be able to get the latest on school closings as
soon as the snow began to fall! There was
talk of a "WARMland Winter!"
      Is anybody in Promotions or Production
listening?
      I scanned the sky's, just in case they knew
something the rest of us didn't. All I saw was
a blue sky with a robin here or there.
      Some of you may not take this as a "big
deal." In the total scheme of things, of course,
it isn't.
     But for those who have been a part of
broadcasting for any length of time we
remember how carefully the great stations
used to be programmed.
     You never heard commercials for two
competing car companies played back to back.
     And you certainly never heard seasonal
promotions played out of season.
     Anytime you're wondering if Federal
regulations are good or bad, consider the
radio airwaves back in the heyday of
"WARMland" when most stations were
locally owned, had local news departments,
and really cared about everything they put
on the air.
     I guess that's a "true oldies" thought!
     Hope you're on the alert for that snow
and that all your NEWS is good!












No comments:

Post a Comment