Thursday, May 17, 2012

Let's Get "Serious!"

    Let's get serious folks. But, in this case, let's
spell it "Serius XM!"
    For those who don't already know Serius XM
is the satellite radio service that broadcasts just
about any kind of music to your home or car.
   It also offers sports, news, comedy,
talk, and entertainment.
   Much of it is commercial free.
   Subscribers pay about $200 a year for all this
variety.
    But why pay for something you can get for
"free?"
    Well a lot of those "free" broadcasters are
providing the answer themselves! And they're
doing it with their programming!
    Yesterday I listened, again, as one local
talk show host spent another three hours or
so doing a "commercial" for a political
party. This host, one of several who
profess to be journalists, spends the better
part of each day destroying any sign of
objectivity to "sell" listeners a personal
agenda. Call and agree and the floor is
yours. Disagree and you're likely to be
belittled....or cut off!
    I switched to an area "religious station"
that also offers a call in "talk program."
    But the only talk, through most of the
program, was the announcer who offered
a few comments in between playing music
which can be heard...without talk......at other
times of the day. A forum wasted as far as
I'm concerned.
     I switched stations again, this time to a
"sports station." But the announcers at this
spot on the dial were rambling on about a
sport I don't follow at all!
     I didn't catch any music signals on FM
that interested me and the AM signals in my
car are very poor.
    And speaking of signals, if I did find an
AM or FM, or HD station that grabbed my
attention, I'd probably lose it by the time I
was 20 miles out of town!
    While there are "dead spots" here and there
I could pretty much pick a channel on my
satellite radio and listen to it all the way
across the country!
    I'll never completely give up on local radio.,
    It still has tremendous potential.
    But, at the moment, much of what I hear
reminds me of former FCC Cairman Newton
Minnow's comments about the "Vast Wasteland"
of broadcasting!
    Think I'll pick a 50's or 60's satellite channel,
sit back, and enjoy the show.
    Hope you remember that your radio has a
dial and an "On & Off" switch and that all your
NEWS is good!

1 comment:

  1. I use the Internet for my news...and my iPod for my tunes. I hate what radio has evolved into...I used to listen all the time. Had my favorite DJ's that I listened to at night. Back in the day when you heard more music than advertisements, more songs than jibber jabber.

    ReplyDelete