Thursday, May 10, 2012

Terrorists?

   We woke to an unusual sight yesterday.
   Two men, decked out in hard hats and
safety vests, were huddled around one of
the utility poles that carries power cables
throughout our development and holds
the street lights that brighten our nights.
    They were digging a hole around the
base of the pole!
     I wasn't so sure that was a great idea
since the earth around those poles helps
hold them up!
     Then they moved to a second pole....
right near my house.
      Again, with shovels in hand, they
proceeded to dig out a lot of dirt around
the base.
      One other thing. They weren't from
the utility company.
       Could this be some terrorist plot to
  topple utility poles?
       I couldn't ask. By the time I got
outside there was no sign of them.
       But an hour or so later my wife
and I spotted the same duo, along a
back road, digging around utility poles
there!
       Maybe it's just me but when
people are doing any kind of work in
the vicinity of your home I think you
ought to know exactly what they're
doing.
      So, when I saw them back near
our place again I decided to interrupt
and ask what they were up to.
      The guy I approached was
wrapping what looked like burlap
around the bottom of the pole then
pushing the dirt back in.
      And, as it turns out, that material
was plastered with some ugly looking
green paste.
     Seems while I was bugging them,
they were doing some "debugging!"
     That green stuff is some kind of
chemical used to prevent bugs, like
termites, from eating the poles!
     See! There were terrorists involved!
     But, in this case, they are insects!
     So there was a method to these
guy's madness!
     I guess we're safe after all.
     Hope you've worked all the bugs
out and that all your NEWS is good.







No comments:

Post a Comment