Monday, December 24, 2012

It's In The Cards!

   There's a pretty good chance most of you
got at least one Christmas card over the last
couple of weeks. Probably a lot more!
    Greeting cards, not specifically Christmas
cards, go back a long long way!
    According to the good folks at
Wikipedia greeting cards can be traced back
to the Chinese and the early Egyptians who
sent them to celebrate the New Year. They,
of course, did not have Times Square!
    Christmas cards didn't show up till around
1843.  And the Hallmark Company didn't
show up till 1910. Think of how big it could
have been if had been around to make those
papyrus cards for Kink Tut!
    I've always enjoyed getting Christmas
cards, especially from folks I haven't seen in
a long time. It nice to know you're still on
their mind from time to time.
    A couple of years ago my wife and I
decided we wanted to do something to
make our cards a little special! We didn't
know exactly what. But the answer came
when we visited the "Christmas Story House"
in Cleveland, Ohio.
    We both love the movie about the kid
asking for a Red Ryder BB gun so we
decided to fashion our cards after scenes
from the movie. I'm the kid in that movie in
many ways except, in my case, I usually
wanted a new Lionel train. I usually got one
too! After all, you can't shoot your eye out
with a locomotive!
     I've told that story before but thought
I'd better mention it again as I present
this year's card to my daily Blog readers!
      It's a challenge. But a fun challenge
to come up with the theme each Christmas.
      Our biggest problem is the fact, hard as
it may seem to believe, there are a few people
who actually haven't seen the movie and are
a bit perplexed by our annual card. To those
few folks we say, respectfully, "Get with the
program!"
      The show is even a Broadway Musical
this year!
       Anyhow....it's Christmas Eve and I
want to wish all of you a Very Merry
Christmas! Hope you have a great
Christmas and that all your NEWS is good!








      


   

No comments:

Post a Comment