Saturday, December 15, 2012

Stop the Presses!


   It would appear I am about to come full
circle!
   Many of you know me from my many
years in local television. Some probably
remember my days as a part of regional
radio. But very people few know that some
of my initial efforts in the communications
field began in newspapers!
    I suppose the logical assumption would
be that I delivered papers. But, no, that's
not the case.
    Back in Junior High School I followed
in my late mother's footsteps and wrote
some poetry. Nothing really fancy. But
it did rhyme!
    Later on in life I did some columns on
radio and television for several regional
publications. One was for a newspaper in
Nanticoke. Another was for a Wilkes-Barre
paper that briefly existed back in the late
70's just after workers went on strike against
the Times Leader and the Citizen's Voice
was being born. The Voice and the Leader
survived. The two I wrote for are gone. I
don't believe my columns had anything to
do with their demise, I hope not!
    I don't believe any of my journalistic
essays survived long enough for the print
to dry although one or two may have gone
on temporary display on the floor of a bird
cage here or there.
    None the less I have been approached
to write a periodic column for a regional
publication that is offered as a supplement
to the Scranton Times every other month.
     A friend suggested I had the perfect
qualifications for this challenge. I am
over 65, have grand children, and work
cheap!
     This "Grandparent's Column" is part
of a family magazine called  "Valley Child."
It is an insert to the daily paper. Since one
is already being prepared my first effort
won't appear till, I suspect, February.
      A lot has changed since I tried my hand
at being a "Scribe." I know you can use
Spell check now. I'm not sure if you still
get to wear a "Press" label in your hat band!
      Still I'm anxious to give it a try!  
      Hope you'll have your reading glasses
 ready and that all your NEWS is good!
                       -30-













   













     

No comments:

Post a Comment