Saturday, December 29, 2012

Snow-way

   "Snow-way"...Translation: There's no way.....
I'll welcome the snow that's on its way!
    Yes. There was a time when I was happy to
see snow. I was a kid and I looked forward to
snow when it gave me a chance to ride my sled
down third street near my home. We lived
dangerously back then. The streets weren't
closed off for sledders. You just waited to make
sure nobody was coming then headed down the
hill. You stopped when you either ran out of
thrust or hit the snow bank at the bottom.
    I liked the snow in those years when I was
into cross country skiing.
     Snow never provided me with a chance to
take the day off. Back in my school days they
weren't too fast to cancel classes. I believe we
only even missed one "Snow Day" from school.
      Most of us walked anyway and we hadn't
yet learned how easy it would be to sue if we
slipped and fell on our way.
      In my work, as a news reporter, the worse
the weather, the longer we drove through the
mess to set up our live truck, then go on the air
to tell people not to drive anywhere!
       Still I guess I still enjoyed some snow when
my trusty old Suburban was there to take on
whatever the winter had to offer.
       The Suburban is gone now. It sits near a
nearby garage slowly being dissolved by the
rust Penndot's liquid calcium created. And,
since I'm "retired" I don't have to make way
through the wintry mess in search of the
deepest  snow I can find.
      The cross country skis are safely tucked
away in some corner of our shed, a fact which
should be good news for my leg bones and
neck, and the sled now has more rust than the
Suburban.
       But I am ready for the new snow. I'm home
with a head coal and cough. I just don't welcome
it because I'll have to clean off the van to get
to the store for all those supplies I reported
you folks buying over the years!
      Hope I can remember what it was you
bought and that all your NEWS is good!






 

No comments:

Post a Comment