Thursday, December 6, 2012

Light Them If You're Got Them!


   My wife and I did something very unusual the other
day!
   We stayed home!
   It wasn't my idea. The unusually warm temperatures
had me thinking about a nice ride through the country.
   My wife saw it as a chance to do Christmas decorating
without freezing in snow or getting soaked walking
between the shed and the house.
    So, we voted. It was a tie. And a tie goes to my wife.
    I really didn't do very much. Moved a few boxes and
climbed the ladder to staple some lights to the side of the
house.
    I was sure one of the staples was bound to go right
through the wiring....thus turning me into one of our
illuminated displays. But, this time, I lucked out.
   When it comes to Christmas decorations this country
has definitely made progress!
   I remember a time when my home was pretty much like
the one you see in our favorite holiday movie...A
Christmas Story.
   Back then we had a candle in each of our front windows.
a couple sets of lights on the tree, a couple floor lamps, our
floor model radio, and, as I recall, two electrical outlets in
the room. That's like dividing 7 into 2. The math only
worked if you had those little extensions that allowed you
to plug three or four appliances into one outlet.........then
pray your electrical fuse wouldn't blow!
   You also had those light strings that were "in series."
   If one burned out they all went dark. You had to replace
them one by one till you found the bad bulb.
    Home owners used to compete for the best lighting
display.
    That's another thing that's changed.
    The modest lights around our place wouldn't have been in
the running back then. But today.....we'd win hands down!
     Of course that's because no one else on our block has any
Christmas lights showing!
     Maybe they're all into energy conservation. Maybe they're
just not into Christmas. Maybe Jacob Marley will be visiting
a few of them over the next couple weeks!
      Hope you're in the spirit rather than seeing them and that
all your NEWS is good!


 









 














The "good old days!"

No comments:

Post a Comment