Thursday, December 27, 2012

The Sound of Silence


   Remember those complaints from people
who didn't like hearing all that Christmas
music right after Thanksgiving? I wasn't
one of them. I truly enjoy the Christmas
season and that, to me, is the time period
between Thanksgiving and "Russian
Christmas" in early January.
    I saw plenty of Christmas decorations
on houses and business places as I began
my Wednesday walk. Hallmark is still
running its Christmas themed movies.
    But less than 24 hours after opening the
gifts under our tree most of the Christmas
music that had been available on stations
up and down the AM and FM dial was
gone! Talk about quitting "Cold Turkey!"
    With the first snowfall of winter on the
way I would have thought "White Christmas"
or "Frosty the Snowman" was still a good
fit.
    I'm pretty sure the kids would still enjoy
the Christmas format given the fact most of
them are off till the New Year and are
probably looking forward to playing in the
snow.
    I did catch a faint echo of one Christmas
standard through the heavy static of one
still unidentified AM station. Given the
poor signal strength it was likely coming from
Santa himself somewhere around the North
Pole.
    Then, for some unknown reason, the term
"XMAS" came into my mind. But it
wasn't an abbreviation for Christmas, It was
a reminder to try my XM/Sirius Satellite
radio. And, sure enough, the service's one
channel devoted to "Holiday Music" was
still celebrating the season with plenty of
Christmas music! Thank you folks!
     I know this too, shall pass. But I'm not
quite ready just yet! I've still got plenty of
Christmas spirit left and a little "Jingle Bells"
still has me singing along.
     Hope you haven't given up on your
Christmas spirit and that all your NEWS
is good.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment