Friday, January 4, 2013

Not So "Oldies?"


   Thursday morning had me doing some "reflecting."
And more than just looking at myself as I shaved.
   As I've mentioned more than once I'm still
enjoying the Christmas season. Since I was pretty
much under the weather with a severe cough right
around December 25th I'm especially determined to
stretch this holiday out as long as possible.
   Part of my routine includes listening to some
"Sounds of the Season" which are being broadcast
on a Comcast Channel called "Music Choice."
   Christmas carols have been around since, well,
since Christmas! That's over 2,000 years!
   But many of the popular tunes associated with the
holiday are far short of 100 years old! Think about
it! Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer was written in
1949. Frosty The Snowman is a year younger, coming
out in 1950.Silver Bells was first preformed by Bob
Hope in the 1950 movie "The Lemon Drop Kid."
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas Now was
also written for a movie. Judy Garland sang it in the
hit "Meet Me In Saint Louis in 1944. It wasn't even
a Christmas movie!
  Of course even these "newer" Christmas tunes
(Newer at least compared to standards like Silent
Night which dates back to 1818) are showing their
age. I heard one by Spike Jones (talk about oldies!)
that referred to "Christmas throughout all the 48
States."  Remember Alaska and Hawaii were still
not States when Rudolph's Red Nose was first
pressed into service by Santa! They came in during
1959! That was only one year after the Little
Drummer Boy started to pound away!
   Recording artists are working like mad to stay on
top of the charts. Ironically all they really need is
one real Christmas hit to be set for life!
   Bing Crosby's 1942 recording of  "White Christmas"
is the biggest selling single of all time. The song has
sold in over 50 million copies worldwide!
   Maybe I better spend some time with my
harmonica trying to think of words that rhyme with
Christmas, or Yule, or Santa! They can't have used
them all!
   One "sad sight" may give me an idea. I saw a
couple Christmas Trees tossed out at the curb during
my morning walk. Let's see...."I'm Dreaming Of A
Recycled Christmas! Hey I may be on to something!
   Hope you'll be playing my "Classic" someday, and
That all your NEWS is good!

















No comments:

Post a Comment