Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Oh Say Can You See?


   Kids, that is kids in general, get a bad rap these days.
   But, on the other hand, some of them really earn it!
   I guess I've got the same complaints many of you
probably share. If, that is, you're at least 30.
   Let's see.....we've got the extremely loud music, the
unpleasant grafitti, baseball caps turned sideways, and
jeans worn so low that underwear now sets a fashion
trend. It's usually not very impressive underwear!
    Funny. Even though the music is louder than ever
I still can't understand most of the words. In fact, I'm
not so sure all of them are actual words!
    Some of the "art work" demonstrated in the graffiti
shows signs of talent. But it's hard to judge when the
freight cars roll by so fast and hard to appreciate
when it's on the walls of some body's business place
who didn't want it there!
    Maybe the sideways baseball cap is an attempt to
prevent sunburn?
    Maybe it's just an "old thing" with me.
    Anyway that's why I was so impressed when I went
to pick up my grandson after school the other day.
    First, his school has a legitimate dress code. The
girls wear uniform skirts, the boys wear ties and jackets!
It's almost like they were training for real life. You know,
life, after the "Underworld" movies!
    But I was most impressed when, as the bell sounded
ending classes for the day, two male students came out
and made their way to the flag pole.
    They lowered and removed their school banner and
then proceeded to take "Old Glory" from the staff. But
this was not a "grab and go operation." The students
carefully removed the flag then, standing facing each
other, folded it in the proper manner and took it inside
to be stored for the evening.
    I was impressed!
    I'm sure there are a lot more kids like that out there.
    Unfortunately they don't get noticed as much or as
quickly as the teens with their boxers showing!
    Maybe we've got to look a little harder to find them!
    Hope you do and that all your NEWS is good!













No comments:

Post a Comment