Sunday, January 27, 2013

There's No Business Like Snow Business!


  I've harped a couple of times about the lack of
kids out playing out in the snow this year!
  Yesterday my daughter and two grand kids
joined my wife and me for a rise to pass some
time. I suggested the kids put their snow boards
in the back of our van....."just in case."
   My grand son brought along some snow pants
for the same reason, "just in case" although my
grand daughter seemed very content to read her
latest book as we headed out for places unknown.
   With outside temperatures still below the
freezing mark the sun's rays inside the car made
it seem especially cozy. I love the "Greenhouse
effect" on days like that.
    To test my "just in case theory" I drove to
Francis Slocum Park. A few months, and 50
or so degrees ago, I brought the kids here to
play on the playground equipment and toss a
baseball around a bit. You might be able to
throw a baseball now...but there's a fair
chance you'd never find it in the blanket of
snow that covers everything.
    In less than a minute the tail gate was open
and the snow boards were out and ready for
action. The grand kids did what I believe a lot
more kids show be doing in the snow.....playing!
    We do not have the same expectations for
adults so my wife and daughter elected to remain
in our "vehicle greenhouse."
     I, on the other had, felt compelled to document
these winter activities with my camera. Within
minutes my grand kids had made a dozen or
more runs, I had gathered plenty of pictures,
and my fingers were near frost bitten!
     Theory results: Kids should play in the snow!
     Adults should find a warm greenhouse!
     Hope you're watching the kids from a warm
place and that all your NEWS is good!








































    

1 comment:

  1. It's wonderful that you spend time outdoors with the whole family in this cold weather. I do agree with your theory that adults should spend time in a warm greenhouse- I'm a gardener and can't wait for Spring!

    ReplyDelete