Saturday, January 19, 2013

These Boots Are Made For Walking!


   I don't know exactly when the small black
particles started to show up. But there they
were, scattered around our living room floor.
   A closer examination reveled they were
tiny bits of rubber.
   And, as usual, my wife tracked the source!
   They were bits and pieces of my
Wolverines!
    Chances are you probably never saw my
Wolverines, even though I wore them on
television for several years!
     You see, the "uniform of the day" for
your average male TV News reporter is a
suit and tie. That's because much of your
daily work routine takes you to public
meetings or Court rooms.
      Of course just about the time you're
getting set to cover that County Commissioners'
meeting or a big court decision, you suddenly
find yourself assigned to traffic reports in the
middle of a snow storm or you're dispatched
to a muddy strip mine to report on a Labor
dispute.
     That's why, years back, I decided to change
my footwear from fall through spring. Though
they didn't match my suits very well, I put on
a warm, water-proof pair of Wolverines to
keep me comfortable during those inclement
assignments. I simply told the photographer
not to show my boots!
     If, by chance, I remained in "civilization"
then, as anyone who has seen the Shawshank
Redemption can tell you,.........most people
never pay any attention to your shoes!
     The same pair has continued to protect
me during my winter walks in my post
retirement years. At least, up till recently.
     It seems I have worn out a lot of that
rubber that's suppose to be meeting the
road. What once was tread has now become
evidence that I didn't remove my boots
when entering the house! My wife is easily
able to track my steps from one room to
another. This is noit a good thing! At the
current rate of deterioration I expect my heels
will be sticking out the bottoms in about three
weeks.
      I may not be quick to buy clothes.....but I
don't quit on those I have very easily!
    Sill to please my "soul" mate (get the play
on footwear words?) I'll probably start looking
for a new pair of boots sometime soon.
     Hope you know when it's time to give something
"the boot" and that all your NEWS is good!


















 

No comments:

Post a Comment