Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Love Letters In The Sand!

    BLOG FOR WEDNESDAY, JULY 24TH.

    There are songs I always associate with my
visits to the shore.
    Around these parts Bobby Rydell's "Wild,
Wild, Wildwood Days" can still be heard on
the PA system at the Convention Center as
a recorded announcement lists the week's
activities and coming attractions.
     But another of my favorites is Pat Boone's
classic "Love Letters In The Sand."
     I never realized it was originally published
in 1931. I only remember Pat's version from
1957. It came out in June or July that year,
just about the time I would have been with my
family on our annual vacation to the beaches
here in Wildwood.
      I wasn't in a love letter phase of my life
back then. And the song was actually a sad
one about a love that didn't work out. Still,
I liked the tune and it made me think of the
beach and the ocean.
      You don't find many letters, let alone
love letters, in the sand these days. Most of
the letters you find are on signs planted in the
sand or on banners towed by airplanes flying
over the sand.
       The aerial letters are sometimes hard to
read. And they're usually not real important.
Just advertisements for various business
places trying to lure the tourists in.
      Some of the letters posted in the sand
and a lot more important. Especially the ones
that read "Caution, Sharks." Admittedly
I haven't seen any sharks. And if I did, I'm
not sure how I would caution them about
anything.
      Yesterday though, I was thinking about
Pat Boone's song.
      I was on my morning walk along the
Boardwalk when I noticed a small crowd
gathered off to my left. They had cameras
and cell phones aimed ahead at what I first
thought was an injured man.
      As it turns out it was a young man, on
one knee, proposing to his girlfriend!
      I only wished I had my camera along.
      I did bring it back to the spot though.
      For just off the Boardwalk, carefully
carved in the sand, was the young man's
written proposal to his love within the
outline of a large heart! They were his
"Love letters in the Sand!"
     They read "Marry Me Steph?"
     You should know, by the way, that
Steph said "Yes" and everyone applauded!
      I met the young man's sister and told
her of a similar sand carving containing
my wife and my initials, drawn on a beach
in California just a few years ago. I told
her to wish her brother and his girl at
least the same 44 plus years my wife and
I have enjoyed.
     Sometimes the real Love letters in the
sand work out a lot better than those in
the lyrics of an old song!
     Hope that's the case for that young
man and Steph....and that all your NEWS
is good!


    

No comments:

Post a Comment