Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Who Was That Masked Man?


     Yesterday my wife, my daughter, and a total
of three grand kids saddled up in my van and
rode off to the movies to see "The Lone Ranger."
      Even before we got to the ticket booth we
were all pretty much aware of the shots this
flick has been taking from critics everywhere.
      It cost the Disney Company some $215
million to make the picture which took in only
$29 million during it's 4th of July Holiday
release.
     Maybe some of the potential movie goers
knew about the couple who sat about 20 seats
to our left and thought they would be there
when they had planned to go. These two
provided they own thoughts and comments at
far above a stage whisper until I finally did a
shout out of my own then walked back to the
ticket taken to ask that a manager be sent to
our rescue. As it happens the people involved
both shut up and moved before any cavalry
arrived!
      But back to the movie.
      I can tell you in all honesty I came to the
theater fully expecting to be disappointed in
this movie.
      To be sure, it's a lot different than the
Lone Ranger I remembered from radio then
later from television. At least as the character
is developed.
     Johnny Depp's Tonto is certainly different
than the Ranger's "Kimosabe" most of us knew
in those thrilling days of yesteryear! Still, he's
kind of cool!
     There's a little bit too much silliness
to suit most western movie fans. I wasn't
thrilled by that.
     But, that said, I LOVED this film!
     There are moments, very well placed
moments, that will cause any true fan of this
classic hero to get chills and remember why
we were proud, as kids, to strap on that
cap firing six gun and go to the rescue of
someone in distress! I hope there's always
a kid somewhere crying "High Ho Silver"
and keeping the legend on the Lone Ranger
alive. Those of us who grew up playing
Cowboys and, yes, Indians, didn't turn out
too bad. And we could always tell the
good guys rom the bad guys...usually by
their white hats!
      Hope you get to see it and that all your
NEWS is good!
   
   























No comments:

Post a Comment