Sunday, October 13, 2013

Big Day In A Little Town!

      BLOG FOR  MONDAY, OCTOBER 14TH

      We headed out to our favorite restaurant yesterday.
       La Dolce Casa is a great Italian eatery in the small
and quiet town of Tamaqua.
       But what's this!? Had I made a wrong turn and
turned into the Twilight Zone? It sure didn't look quiet
to us!
       The usually empty main street was packed with
people. There was a horse drawn trolley carting
passengers around the borough. High wheel bicycles
rode by, their drivers decked out in turn of the century
dress and women in Hop skirts strolling among hundreds
and hundreds of us "regular folks" checking out food
stands and tables stretching for blocks. The tables
were filled with items offered for sale. It looked like
a sort of municipal flea market.
      Well,as it turns out, it wasn't the Twilight Zone or
even an extension of the Bloomsburg Fair.  Not even an
early start to Columbus Day!
       It was Tamaqua's "Heritage Days."
       I don't know the population of Tamaqua. But it
certainly looked like most of the local folk had either
turned out to enjoy or work this community event.
      With food vendors on every block we figured the
restaurant would be empty. Wrong! The owner told
us the activity brings people in. I guess it's true. If you
build (or stage) it, they will come! Even if, like us, they
come unsuspecting!
       We enjoyed our dinner then a walk through the
crowd to see what there was to see. We even picked up
a few basket stuffers. You know, free stuff available at
some of the tables.
        I know I can use the band aids. But I know I
disappointed the folks who gave my grandson some
playing cards when I reveled I was from Luzerne County.
Their giveaways were aimed at getting voter support for
a Schuylkill County District Attorney candidate.
       Hope that deck wasn't key to their campaign and
that all your NEWS is good!






No comments:

Post a Comment