Wednesday, October 23, 2013

North, To Alaska!


      Hitch up the dog sled Johnny Horton, I'm
heading North To Alaska!
      My wife and I spent last evening at a
Travel Show presented by Thompson Tours
where plans for our trip and numerous other
exciting destinations for 2014 were unveiled!
      I'm especially happy to be heading to our
49th State because I've got family history
there.
      My "Great Uncle" Charlie Goyne (my
 mother's uncle) was a gold miner there when
the place was still a U.S. Territory! For years
he lived alone in a small cabin and hand dug
a tunnel in his search for the precious oar.
     He found some too. Though, ultimately, he
made as much money working the docks as he
did mining a mountainside.
     And he always complained about inflation
claiming the dollars he made were worth a lot
less than the dollars he came north with. I wonder
what he'd think about the value of today's buck?
      I don't know if I'll get a chance to look for
any gold on our trip. I'm not much good at
digging and the only tunnel I'm familiar with is
on the Pennsylvania Turnpike! I don't think there's
any gold in there.
      Still, this combination cruise/rail tour does
seem like a golden opportunity and since it's in
August I can probably let the snow shovel at
home!
      Thompson still has openings for our
expedition so check it out! Hope some of you
will "Mush" along with us..and that all of your
NEWS is good!


No comments:

Post a Comment