Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Heroes Without Capes!

          BLOG FOR THURSDAY OCT 17TH

      The alarm went off at 6 yesterday morning.
It's hasn't done that very much since I "retired."
But an early start was a prerequisite for my
morning mission and I didn't want to be late!
      The Lackawanna Chapter of the American
Red Cross had asked me to be the Master of
Ceremonies for its first annual "Heroes Breakfast"
at Genetti's in Dickson City.
       I was alarmed at first, thinking I had somehow
blown my cover as a mild mannered reporter for
a great metropolitan TV station. Of course the
"S" on my shirt is really nothing more than my
middle initial and I rarely fly, except on a trip
now and then. And it's always in a plane! 
        The regional Red Cross Chapter has decided
to honor men and women from our area who have
acted in heroic fashion and their first class of
honorees certainly deserved the recognition!
A police officer who revived a woman with CPR and
a defibrillator. An assistant fire chief who allowed
himself to be lowered into a storm drain to recover a
toddler who had fallen into the void, and two
paramedics who got the child breathing again. A
woman who spends the bulk of her time coming
up with fund raising projects for the Red Cross and a
business owner who has supported the agency with
product and financial donations.
          Life Flight team members were honored too! I
 know they're always on the go. Their flight path to
Geisinger Wyoming Valley goes right over my house
and those life saving choppers can sound mighty loud
at 3AM!
            All of these local heroes were honored for
 continuing the American Red Cross life saving tradition
established by Clara Barton in the 1800's. I had to
explain that I never actually covered those efforts
personally.
             But I have covered some of those honored
yesterday and can honestly say they are all heroes
without capes or super powers!
             Hope you'll watch for the everyday heroes in
your lives and neighborhood and that all your NEWS
is good!





No comments:

Post a Comment