Tuesday, October 8, 2013

The Great American Past Time.


           As the baseball playoffs take us closer to the
World Series and the National Football League draws
millions to their TV sets every Sunday afternoon, I'd
like to suggest we take a moment to give some
thought to another sporting competition that may very
well lay claim to being the real "Great American Past
Time!" 
         October 8th is American Touch Tag Day! You
may simply know it as "Tag" or, in some circles as
"Tag, you're It!"
        How America gets credit I'll never know since
the game can be tracked back at least as far as Ancient
Egypt! (Suddenly I have a mental picture of Yul Brynner
chasing Charlton Heston around a Pyramid.)
        I remember playing the game in my back yard as a
kid. The trick was to tag someone close to you without
pre-announcing the game, then quickly identify the closest
tree or clothesline pole as "Goal" where you were immune
from an immediate re-tag by the sucker...that is...friend
you initially tagged!
       I'm thinking that not everyone has played baseball or
football. But I'd be willing to bet that most every kid, boy and
girl, has played Tag at one time or another!
       At least I believe that was true before the advent of the
hand held electric game industry! Unfortunately many of
today's youngsters would never get far enough away to
avoid the tag. They'd be stopped in their tracks by a text
message!
       I think we could stand a little less IPod and a little more
 Tag outside somewhere....anywhere....these days! I'll start!
"TAG....You're IT!" (Sorry...I'm already on goal and I'm
Staying here!) Hope you enjoy the game and the day and
that all of your NEWS is good!



No comments:

Post a Comment