Monday, October 28, 2013

Shanghaied


    My grand daughter and I were "Shanghaied"
yesterday.
     It happened in those few minutes just after our
church service ended when family and friends
discuss possible locations where we might like to
have our Sunday dinner.
     Our friends indicated a desire to go to a popular
Japanese Hibachi restaurant. My wife, daughter, and
grandson were quick to second the motion.
      My grand daughter shook her head in the
standard signal for "No." I indicated I would go
along with the decision. But my expressed
enthusiasm was similar to that I display when facing
a dental appointment.
       But allow me to explain.
       I enjoy the guy who spins the knives as much
as anyone. The huge fire on the cooking grill in front
of us is always impressive. And who could frown
when the chef ignites that little volcano made from a
chopped onion and some unnamed flammable liquid?
       The truth is I enjoy the floor show!
       I'm just not thrilled with the food!
       How can you trust a menu that doesn't include
hamburgers? Or French fries!
       Can't these folks contact somebody in Idaho
to get a couple pounds of potatoes? The rice is OK.
But I don't go in for that sauce that goes on top.
       I finally ordered a plain steak cooked in the
kitchen. That got me out of the "Sake circle" too!
       I was still a bit perplexed when they brought my
steak out since the only utensils in front of me were
a fork and a set of chop sticks! Fortunately someone,
probably assuming anyone who didn't want Sake was
likely to be a kid, had thought to cut my meat for me.
Perhaps they were afraid I'd try to spin my knife!
      Anyhow, the food was good and I was happy to
see my grand daughter smile when asked to catch a
piece of vegetable thrown by the chef in her mouth! I
know she liked the floor show too.
       Since the company was the greatest I suppose we
 would both have to admit we all had a good time.
       I didn't bring my camera......this time. But, you
see, I've been Shanghaied there before. So I'll just
recycle those photos for your entertainment!
        Hope you enjoy them and that all your NEWS is
good!




No comments:

Post a Comment