Sunday, October 20, 2013

Honk If You Like Summer!


       The top was down (but the heater on) as we
enjoyed what sunshine Saturday had to offer on
our way to the first game of a Soccer Tournament.
        I squeezed another half hour of open air while
we drove to a post game restaurant. Wisely I
raised the top when we went inside to eat. By the
time we came out a light rain had left beads of
water on the waxed body of the car.
       The cool wind added another sign to the
accumulating number of clues suggesting that old
man winter is thinking about moving in.
       Our home heating system kicked on the other
morning. The thermostat isn't set that high. But
the temperature got low enough to fire up the
furnace. It's a sign!
       There's still plenty of color in the Autumn
leaves. But a lot of those leaves are off the trees
and on the ground now. They form a colorful
blanket that ought to come equipped with a sign
reading "Slippery When Wet!"
       For me though it was the sounds I heard 3
sunny days ago that had me pull my warmer
leather jacket out of the closet. With all due
respect to the Weather forecasters I start getting
ready for cooler weather when I hear the "Honks"
from up above! They did not come from motorists
supporting a group of striking teachers or a move
to abolish property taxes.  They came from the
flock of geese flying overhead!
        I had hoped it was a local flight just heading
over the Susquehanna for an afternoon of fishing.
        But, alas, this group was heading out for the
season and, unfortunately, going South! I tried to
snap a photo but couldn't focus on time. I've
included a couple stock pictures that tell the same
story. I suppose if you've seen one flight you've
seen them all.
        Hope there's a nice "Indian Summer" somewhere
in their wake and that all your NEWS is good!





No comments:

Post a Comment