Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Getting Up In The World!


   My morning walks often take me along
Susquehanna Avenue in West Pittston. It's
a tranquil area with beautiful homes and,
from what I can tell during my brief
encounters, some very nice people.
    They've got a great view of the
Susquehanna River! But every so often
it's far too good a view!
   That was the case in 2011 when the
river spilled out of its banks and into
many homes on Susquehanna Avenue
and elsewhere in the Borough.
    There is no levy system in West
Pittston and there's an old story which
suggests that many people would rather
have the view than protection against
flooding. I don't know whether that's
true or not. But I do know that there's
always a chance the river will flood
again.
    One local family has come up
with a way to keep its view without
the constant worry about high water.
    It's raising its house!
    I first saw the steel beams in front
of the house a few weeks ago. What I
didn't know, then, was the plan to slip
those beams under the house, then jack
them up, thus lifting the home high into
the air.
     Of course there's no way to tell high
the water will get should there ever
be another flood. But if this place takes
water we may all be in trouble!
     Looks to me like the only better
protection would be an Ark!
     Of course the garage is still at ground
level so driving away could be  a problem.
     Then there's that first step out of the
house! Right now it's a whopper!
      Hope there will soon be a staircase,
and that all your NEWS is good!



No comments:

Post a Comment