Saturday, August 23, 2014

Which Watch


  I found myself shopping for a wrist watch
yesterday. But I wondered which wrist watch!   
And how did I come to want a wrist watch,
whichever wrist watch I'd choose?
   One of the first benefits I noticed when I
"retired" was the lack of the need to know
exactly what time it was all the time. It was
especially true in my case since I spent most
of my working life fighting the clock and
deadlines!
    Like many others who stepped out of their
9 to 5 incarceration to freedom, my wrist watch
was one of the first things to go!
    Of course there were still times when I had
to know the time. When we hosted a trip to
Switzerland, for instance, I actually wore two
wrist watches. One was set to Swiss time, the
other to the time back home.
     In recent years if I had to check the time I
usually did so by getting out and opening up my
cell phone.
     But Cell service won't be an option on my
next venture. And the two wrist watches I
retired..when I retired have both apparently
run out of time! Their faces are blank!
     I suppose new batteries could bring them
back to life. But even if they did it could be
weeks before I remembered how to set them!
     Thus is was I went to Walmart looking for a
wristwatch. But which wrist watch to wear?
     My grandson suggested some colorful
models and quickly vetoed one I pointed out
with a pink strap. But colors weren't the
only consideration.
      There were all sorts of sizes. There was
a decision to be made as to whether I wanted
a traditional clock face or a digital display.
       After ruling out an array of watches
designed to measure one's running speed or
offering options such as pulse or heart beats
per minute, I settled on one with a large
digital read out and a small light which will
allow me to figure out what hour it is when
I'm wondering why I'm still awake.
       Hope I haven't taken up too much of your
time and that all your NEWS is good!






No comments:

Post a Comment