Saturday, September 27, 2014

Don't Look Back!


  It was Baseball pitcher Satchel Paige who said it.
  "Don't look back. Somebody may be gaining on
you."
  His quote was locked in my mind for a time
yesterday.
   The brilliant sunshine and colorful leaves
prompted my wife and I to put the top down in
the Miata and head out on the road to enjoy the
day.
   We had no special destination in mind and, in
fact, made sure we hit a lot of back roads on our
trip to....who knows where?
    After a pleasant drive to the Ricket's Glen area
we turned south towards Shickshinny. After you
cross the river there into Mocanqua there's a road
that runs right along the Susquehanna into the
Wapwallopen area. It's a narrow, winding road
just perfect for a little Sports car on a sunny day.
    Unless, of course, there's a car right behind
you. And especially if that car happens to be a
State Police cruiser! I thought all those guys
were chasing that murder suspect in Monroe or
Pike County.
    Apparently they've left a few behind for other
duties.
    The speed limit along that stretch of rural
road is 25 miles-per-hour. My speedometer
read about 35 and I kept getting the feeling
the trooper really wanted me to speed up.
    If I had I'm sure he would have been happy.
    Either to give me a ticket, or to allow him
to move faster too!
    I hadn't planned on buying apples. But
when an entrance to Heller's Orchards
presented itself......I took it.......and was
pleased to see the cruiser go right on by.
    I believe he really sped up!
    For just a second I considered getting
behind him to see if a Citizen's arrest might
be in order.
    Instead I just bought some apples then
drove off to Nescopeck to our favorite
ice cream stand. It was good to see no one
had followed me there!
   By the way my "Cruiser in the mirror
photo is from the web. I didn't think it
would be wise to actually try to click a
picture of the officer behind me!
   Hope you're sticking to the speed limit
and that all of your NEWS is good!




2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, love the story. My wife and I went out to Robas Apple Orchard a few weeks ago. We had such a good time. They start you out in a covered wagon pulled by a tractor to take you up the hill to the orchard. The man there gives you a quick rundown of the types of apples and believe you me there are more than I ever imagined. Our favorites are the Honey Crisp apples. We dashed right for those and picked a half a bushel full. Not a bushel or a peck, but a half a bushel. Younger readers won't get that one. Anyway we also picked Ruby Macintosh, Zestar (amazing) and Gala. My wife made apple sauce and an apple cake. I gained 5 pounds but loved every minute of it.

      Delete