Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Read On


   I don't read as much now as I used to.
  Maybe it's because I write so much. My
daily Blog is probably a substitute for the
news stories I used to write everyday. Four
or more a day was not unusual.
   So, since those days in the newsroom
my reading usually involved some on line
articles from various news sources.
   Most of my dramas, comedies, or
biographies came from movies or TV.
   On our recent visit to Vinal Haven Island
in Maine, however, there were no movies
or TV, unless you counted a collection of
vintage dvd's, and no internet except for
that offered at the Library when I was
able to get there. As for cell phones, there
were a couple spots on the entire island
where you might get a signal.
    So it was that, prior to our trip, I
accepted my wife's offer to buy me a
book as we visited Barns & Noble.
    The store seemed to have more books
than I remember seeing at the Library
back in my old home town "back in the
day."
     I've always heard it said "you can't
judge a book by its cover." But, not
wishing to spend a day reading the
jacket descriptions on a thousand
volumes, I pretty much looked around
for a cover or title that grabbed my
attention.
     There was a new publication on
the Titanic. I picked it immediately
even with a certainty I knew how the
story would end. But that was more of
an effort to add to my growing
collection of books on the famous sea
disaster.
     Another, with photos of two famous
Americans on the cover, did grab my
attention. And the title, "Lindbergh vs.
Roosevelt," sparked my curiosity.
      We wrapped it up and hauled it
to the island with us where it filled in
all those "movie, internet, cell phone, and
TV-less hours" that  filled all those hours
between sleeping and eating your meals.
     We were there for three days. Just
enough to finish the book!
      Of course while shopping on the
island my wife found........a Book store!
      Guess I'll have to cut the power to
our house for a few days to see if I can
get through "Fly Boys!"
       Hope there's a Bookmark handy
around here and that all your NEWS is
good!




     

1 comment:

  1. If you like Fly Boys, there is a great book titled A Higher Calling that is super. Get a copy for the next time you are able to lose the distractions. Someone is quoted as saying, "One who does not read is no better off than one who cannot read."

    ReplyDelete