Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Map Math


           THURSDAY, SEPT 18TH



                  MAP MATH
      I felt like I was in a Junior High School
  Math class! Remember those problems that
  begin with..."Joe was on a train heading to
  New York going 50 miles per hour . You
  know the kind!
      Well there I was, riding shotgun with
  my buddy as we drove towards our
  destination in the state of Maine.
      His high tech GPS system selected a
  route, then produced a readout with
  projected our arrival 5 hours later.
      Our wives, carefully consulting what
  many of you may remember as "maps,"
  disagreed with both the routes and
  expected arrival time.
      They wanted us on superhighways while
 the GPS did not. It kept insisting that we
 take various exits!
       That contradiction, we learned, was
  caused by a setting in the electronic brain
  that intentionally avoided toll roads.
       We readjusted the unit and were well
  on our way.
       But even when the new route put us
  on back roads our arrival time continued
  to drop. that was to be expected since the
  new route was either shorter or faster.
       I understand that concept. But when
  my friend slowed down to 50, I noticed
  we suddenly cut a minute from our time.
     Two miles later we had cut three
  minutes. How do you do that without
  going at least twice the speed limit?
     As I questioned the reading we cut
  another two minutes.
     I began to discuss the situation when
 our arrival time readout showed another
 three minutes off the clock.
     kept up long enough, according to my
 calculations, we would be there long
 before we actually arrived!
    Maybe time travel is possible...at least
 in my buddy's vehicle.
    Hope you don't show up before you get
 somewhere and that all your NEWS is
 good.     





No comments:

Post a Comment