Saturday, November 22, 2014

Ducks On The Pond!


   I know! I know.
   Ducks on the pond is a baseball term.
It means there's players on the  bases
waiting for a hit to bring them home!
   But I don't think real ducks play
baseball.
   Still there they were. On the pond.
Well, just off the pond. Or, in this case
the Susquehanna River!
   I heard the unmistakable sound of
ducks or geese while I was on my walk
yesterday.
   I stopped and looked towards the sky,
fully expecting to see that traditional
"V" formation of birds making their
annual fall flight to warmed climates
somewhere down south.
   But the sky was empty.
   The sound, as it turns out, was coming
from the river bank in West Pittston.
    And there they were. Just sitting, or
squatting, whatever it is birds do when
they're not doing anything. Lots of them!
     It was certainly cold enough to encourage
birds, or even people, to head south. But
they didn't seem anxious to go anywhere.
    Maybe they heard about expected
warmer temperatures next week. Or maybe
this flock is from Buffalo and just needed
a rest stop.
    Maybe they're from Buffalo and thought
this was Florida!
    What a bunch of turkeys....I mean geese.
     Hope their presence means sunny days
and that all your NEWS is good!





   
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment